UPPSC conducts the PCS Exam for employing Group A and Group B officers in the realm of administrative services of the state government. After the UPPSC Prelims 2018, the PCS exam pattern has actually got changed.
The examinations organized by the Bihar Public Service Commission (BPSC); Patna are even the centre of attraction for the aspirants who are preparing for the Civil Services Examination (CSE). Despite of the subtle alterations in the nature as well as process of examination, the syllabus of Preliminary and Main of UPSC CSE possess a significant role in the examination organized by BPSC. This is the reason why students or aspirants preparing for UPSC CSE are actually succeeding in this BPSC examination too.
Nature of Exam
This BPSC competitive exam conducted by BPSC mostly formed up of three levels successively-
- Preliminary Examination: Objective Nature
- Main Exam is of descriptive Nature
- Interview – Oral
On the other hand, the UPPSC conducts the exam of PCS in three levels:
- Prelims including two papers – objective type questions (mocks)
- Mains including eight papers – essay/descriptive type
You should know that the UPPSC syllabus overlaps massively with the UPSC CSE Syllabus for the overall IAS Exam. With the fresh set of PCS exam pattern and UPPSC syllabus, aspirants preparing simultaneously for the Civil Services Exam and even that of the state civil services exam are going to have a somewhat easier task.
- General Science including Events of national and international importance and History of Bihar and Indian History
- Geography includes primarily Geography of Bihar. Moreover, Indian Polity and Economy including alterations in the economy of Bihar after independence
- Indian National Movement includes General Mental Ability., and role of Bihar in the overall Indian Nationalist Movement
Of course, if you have a good grasp on all these things, you may have higher chances of shining in this exam.
Talking about UPPSC, the syllabus can unfold like:
- Current events related to National & International importance
- Indian History as well as National Movement
- Indian and World Geography including Socio-economic, Physical geography
- Indian Governance and Polity including Political System, Public Policy, Constitution, Panchayati Raj, Rights issues and more.
- Social and Economic Development including Demographics, Sustainable Development, even Poverty Inclusion, Social Sector initiatives and more.
- Environmental Ecology, Climate Change, and even Biodiversity includes general issues that do not really need subject specialisation
- General Science
Being a candidate, you are expected to have general awareness about the above subjects and areas with special reference to Uttar Pradesh. Of course, if you have a good understanding of it all, you can do well in this exam.
BPSC Personal Interview Test
The aspirants selected in order of merit on the results of the Main Exam shall need to appear for the final level of the BPSC Exam which is the Personality Test. Each candidate will have to answer the questions related to the general interest. The goal of the test will be to measure the candidate’s personal qualities e.g., alertness of mind, even power of clear and logical exposition, that of intellectual and moral integrity, leadership and even that of the candidate’s range of interests.
The point is whether UPPSC or BPSC, Candidates should take mock interviews to prepare. Such Mocks are going to give you an idea of your weak areas and even will help you become a bit comfortable with the thought of encountering the interview.
So, since you have an idea about UPPSC and BPSC, you can make out that there is quite a difference between the syllabus of both the exams. You should not think that if you have prepared for one the other would get done simultaneously.